University of Arizona College of Medicine – Tucson Program Sports Medicine (Family Medicine)
ACGME ID: 1270312083
Please Note: In ERAS we are only listed as "Sports Medicine (Family Medicine)." We also take Emergency Medicine residents and have a designated EM track.
Brief information about our fellowship:
- One-year ACGME-accredited sports medicine fellowship designed to teach residency-trained primary care physicians (Family Medicine and Emergency Medicine) the principles and practice of sports medicine.
- There are two tracks: Family Medicine and Emergency Medicine. We will offer 2 funded positions annually to residents graduating from ACGME accredited programs in EM and FM.
- Emphasis is placed on learning the clinical skills necessary to prevent and treat exercise-related injuries while promoting a healthy lifestyle and preparing the graduate to be a team physician.
- Clinical experience is gained at the following rotation sites:
- University of Arizona Campus Health Center (including intercollegiate, club and disabled athletics, elite level dancers and musicians)
- McKale Center (Intercollegiate Athletics)
- Arizona Institute for Sports Medicine
- North Hills Clinic
- Emergency Department (Banner university Medical Center Main and South campuses)
- Professional, collegiate, and recreational sporting events including coverage of high school athletics, Tucson Marathon, Phoenix PF Chang’s Rock ‘N Roll Marathon, and professional MLS soccer at the Tucson Desert Diamond Cup
- As part of the fellowship, scheduled on site rotations take place with: sports medicine orthopedics, musculoskeletal radiology, hand-orthopedic surgery and cardiology
- Fellows participate in travel with the University of Arizona Football team
- Monthly multisciplinary sports medicine conference with additional journal clubs, exam worshops, and primary care sports medicine focused lectures
- During fellowship, a commitment is made in developing and presenting original research. A half-day off weekly is devoted to this endeavor.
- The University of Arizona Sports Medicine Fellowship participates in the NRMP match and will be utilizing ERAS only.
- Full ERAS application is required.
- USMLE Parts 1-3
- Medical School transcript
- Personal statement
- Three (3) Letters of Recommendation
- At least one letter from your current program director and two additional letters of recommendation from Sports Medicine Physicians.
- Interviews will be offered, by invitation only, September 1st through December 1st. It is the applicant’s responsibility to verify completion of application requirements.
- One position each will be offered to candidates who will complete an accredited Emergency Medicine and Family Medicine residency.
- For more info regarding the Department of Family and Community Medicine, go to https://www.fcm.arizona.edu/
- For more info regarding the Department of Emergency Medicine, go to http://emergencymed.arizona.edu/home.
- For a direct link to a website description from the Emergency Medicine perspective go to: http://emergencymed.arizona.edu/fellowships/sports-medicine
Please send all inquiries and correspondence to:
Holly Beach, MD
The University of Arizona - Sports Medicine Fellowship
655 N Alvernon Way, Ste 228
Tucson, AZ 85711